Monday 17 September 2012

How do you draw a family tree?


I was unable to get online this morning, (internet is playing right up!) which has once again highlighted just how much I am reliant on it in order to do pretty much anything in relation to my family ancestry research.  I have been going back through the Edge family, checking my sources, trying to find any pieces of missing information and printing any evidence that I have so that I don’t find myself in situations like this in the future.  I have created two family trees; the first starting with me and my siblings and going back to my Grandad’s parents. This tree also includes my mum’s siblings and my Grandad’s siblings. I have found that often when trying to print off a family tree, it will only include me, not my sisters, and then my granddad but not his siblings. I am obviously creating more work for myself in making the trees so as to include siblings, but that is my personal preference, and I do not think I’d be 100% happy with the results if I hadn’t of included them. For the future generations of my family that may be interested in my findings, won’t my siblings and my aunties and uncles be just as important as me?
 I have had to make a conscience decision however not to include any of the partners of the siblings in the generations going back because there is simply not enough space on a sheet of A4 paper. I may well print off family group sheets with this information on for each sibling though, with their children and any information that I find on their lives. It just seems to be endless, but I want to do it properly.  It would be interesting to know how other people have documented hard copies of their family trees, if you are reading this, please feel free to leave a comment with any advice or tips! They would be most appreciated. =) 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the info, it’s easy to understand. BTW, if anyone needs to fill out a family group sheet, I found a blank form here: http://pdf.ac/5TCsV8

    ReplyDelete